Sony has detailed its financial results for Q2 2019, which is the three months ended September 30 and revealed the PlayStation 4 shipped 2.8 million units worldwide in this timeframe. This figure is slightly down from Q1 2019, when the console shipped 3.2 million units. However, the figure is enough to make the PS4 the second best-selling console of all time.
As confirmed in July 2019, the PS4 reached the 100 million units shipped milestone and, combined with the numbers from Q2 of 2019, that brings it the total up to 102.8 million units, edging the PS4 past the performance of the original PlayStation. However, the PlayStation 2 remains the best-selling console of all time at over 150 million units.
Overall, it’s been a strong lifecycle for the PS4, which is now in its seventh year on the market. Sony has begun detailing its successor, the PS5, so the clock is ticking for the PS4. Despite this, there are some big games on the way, including Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us 2.
The Last of Us 2 was recently delayed into Spring 2020, with director Neil Druckmann stating the extra time would allow the developer to polish the game. “It was during the last few weeks, as we were closing out sections of the game, that we realized we simply didn’t have enough time to bring the entire game up to a level of polish we would call Naughty Dog quality,” he explained. “At this point we were faced with two options: compromise parts of the game or get more time. We went with the latter, and this new release date allows us to finish everything to our level of satisfaction while also reducing stress on the team.
“While we’re relieved that we won’t have to compromise our vision, we’re disappointed that we weren’t able to avoid this exact situation. We wish we could’ve foreseen the amount of polish we needed, but the size and scope of this game got the better of us. We hate disappointing our fans and for that we’re sorry.”
Click To Unmute
- Free PS4 PlayStation Plus Games For November 2019 Revealed
- Free Xbox One And Xbox 360 Games With Gold For November 2019 Revealed
- Death Stranding – Launch Trailer
- Luigi's Mansion 3 Is A Clever Mix Of The First Two Games
- Warcraft 3: Reforged – Original vs. Remaster (Trailer Cinematic)
- The Witcher Netflix Series Release Date Announced – GS News Update
- Sony Wants To Sell Off PlayStation Vue – GS News Update
- Fortnite Brings Back Fortnitemares For Halloween 2019 – GS News Update
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Brings EA Back To Steam – GS News Update
- Top New Games Out On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week — October 27 – November 2, 2019
- Blizzcon 2019 Schedule Revealed, Includes Overwatch, StarCraft, & More – GS News Update
- Payday 2 Development Restarts – GS News Update
Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?
Sign up or Sign in now!
Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos. This video has an invalid file format. 00:00:00
Sorry, but you can’t access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video
By clicking ‘enter’, you agree to GameSpot's
Now Playing: PS5 Release Window & New Controller Announced – GS News Update
Source: Read Full Article